Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Incredible, edible EGG!

Maybe I read Green Eggs and Ham too many times as a kid, or maybe I'm just a simple Midwestern girl who can't escape her roots, but I love a good egg.  I also think that there's something really beautiful about a perfectly cooked egg.  Obviously, I'm not alone, a lot of ink has been spilled in the pursuit of this goal.

A perfect frittata (and even more perfect bacon)
I've already covered the perfect soft-boiled egg.  It's a beautiful thing, especially once you master peeling the suckers!  I prefer this to doing a poached egg, mostly because you can achieve the same flavor without making gross albumin water.  I have successfully made a poached egg in the microwave.  They aren't quite as good as restaurant poached eggs, but they're not bad.

For a lazy person's poached egg, fill a mug 1/2 full of water and put it in the microwave for 60 - 120 seconds (depending on the strength of your microwave).  When the water is steaming really well, crack an egg in, using a toothpick to poke a tiny hole in the yolk (trust me) so that the egg doesn't explode in your microwave.  Put the egg back into the microwave for another 30-60 seconds (again depending on the strength of your microwave and how runny you like your yolks). Fish the egg out of the mug with a fork or slotted spoon.  I like to let it air dry a second before I pop it onto really buttery toast. Delish!

This method takes a little trial and error, but once you have the times exact for your microwave, it's easy-peasy.

The frittata was made for people like me, who have let vegetables get past their peak during the week and need a "kitchen sink" opportunity to use a bunch up before they go bad.  I have yet to taste a bad combination of ingredients, though I'm sure if you tried you could come up with something. 

A basic breakdown of frittata ratios:

A 10 inch non-stick frying pan that can go in the oven under the broiler
1 tsp butter to coat the bottom of the pan
6 eggs, scrambled (add a dollop of milk/cream if that's how you like your eggs, I think it makes them fluffier)
An onion-like vegetable (leeks, green onions, shallots, whatever needs to go) chopped (about 1/2 cup)
meat and/or mushrooms and/or a starch like potato (about 3/4 cup)
a green vegetable (broccoli, spinach, kale, asparagus) (about 3/4 cup)
anything else that needs eating, tomatoes, peppers, etc.
a cheesy product (the picture is goat cheese *drool*) (1/2 - 3/4 cup)

Heat up the pan over medium-high heat, preheat the broiler on low.  Whisk the eggs in a bowl and set aside. put in the butter, saute the onion until translucent, add your other ingredients and saute for 3-5 minutes (reserving cheese until last to be sprinkled over the top before it goes in the oven).  Pour your eggs in and stir with a rubber spatula for about 3 minutes or until the bottom is set. Then pop it into the oven for 3-4 minutes (until the top is set and the edges brown).  Slide it out onto a plate and enjoy!

Note: if you prefer your eggs cooked, but not browned, place the frittata into a 375 degree oven to set, rather than under the broiler.  I know some folks don't like a crispy egg, and I support you.

Now, if you're up for an adventure, I want you to try this perfectly fried egg from chef José Andrés and report back.  This is definitely not for the pale egg crowd, this is about as crispy-brown as it gets!

No comments:

Post a Comment