Saturday, August 16, 2014

A Whole30 Riff on Pork Saltimbocca


In Italian, saltimbocca translates to "jumps in the mouth," which could either mean flavorful, or really, really creepy.  I'm going to go with flavorful.

I was brainstorming at work today as to what to do with the pork chops I had defrosting in the fridge and I struck upon the idea of a pork chop saltimbocca.  Like so many ideas I have, the Internet was already way ahead of me.  I found a recipe from Michael Symon and then gave it my own twists to accommodate my diet and my laziness.  And it turned out to be AMAZINGLY delicious!


What you'll need:
  • cling wrap
  • 3 pork chops
  • 3 slices of Prosciutto
  • approximately 1 tsp. dried sage divided among the pork chops (or 1 fresh sage leaf per chop)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 T grapeseed oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
  • 4 cups arugula, divided
  • lemon slices for garnish

Dry the pork chops with a paper towel, then place on a piece of cling wrap.  Season the top of the chops with salt, pepper and sage.


 Then cover each chop with a piece of prosciutto.


Top the bunch with another piece of cling wrap and pound flat with your favorite utensil.  Me?  I used a rolling pin, because I don't have one of those fancy hammers. It works for me, especially on days when I need to relieve a little tension!


Preheat your pan to medium high, add your oil and your pork chops, prosciutto side down.  Season the other side with salt and pepper once it's in the pan.


Cook each side for about 3-4 minutes, and then removed the chops to a paper towel lined plate.




Add half your arugula to the hot pan and wilt (about 30 seconds).  Toss the wilted arugula with the raw arugula.

  Garnish with sliced lemon and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment