Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Let them eat cakes! Specifically, fish cakes!



What's a girl to do with two discounted tilapia fillets?  Clearly, tilapia is one of the more boring kinds of fish.  There I said it.  But what's great about it, is that it's versatile and goes with a ton of different flavors!

What you'll need:

2 tilapia fillets
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup bread crumbs (gluten-free if you prefer)
1.2 cup frozen peas
1 T mustard
1 T chimichurri (optional) OR 1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 T olive oil (divided)
1 t Old Bay
1/2 t cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste.


Heat 1 T of the olive oil to medium high and place the filets that have been seasoned with salt, pepper and Old Bay on both sides in the oil (I had to do mine one at a time). It doesn't take long for fish to cook, these only went for a couple of minutes on both sides.  Once the fish is firm and opaque, you can take it off the heat. 


Flake the fish with a fork in a large bowl. 


Add your peas, they will defrost in the warm fish (or you can microwave them for a minute if you prefer). 


Add your bread crumbs, yogurt, cayenne and mustard.  I also added a little more Old Bay, because I love it and simply cannot help myself.


Add your parsley or chimichurri and then mix everything together. 


Once the cakes are formed, you can chill them in the fridge or freezer to help them hold their shape.  I threw mine in the freezer while I cleaned up the dishes so far and heated 1 T of olive oil in my pan once again.

Once the oil is preheated, brown the patties on both sides (make sure that they get heated all the way through), then set them aside to drain on paper towels.  This recipe made about 8 patties.


I served the patties with a simple rice vinegar cole slaw.  Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment