Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Feeling hot hot hot!


It's been over 100 degrees here for the past week or so, and I'm getting acclimated.  I have a feeling this ice milk is going to be an essential summer treat!

It's probably a mistake to learn how easy it actually is to make ice cream.  I purposely don't buy it, because I will eat all of it, immediately. Moderation and ice cream don't exactly go together.  But this ice milk recipe is a little more diet friendly than a pint of Ben an Jerry's, at least that's what I'm telling myself.  It also doesn't require an ice cream maker, or really any special equipment other than some kind of blender.


What you'll need:

  • 4 cups of milk (this is 1 percent)
  • 1 cup of VERY strong coffee (like, espresso strong).  I used decaf because I'm an old lady and caffeine keeps me awake at night.
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup sugar (or stevia, splenda, etc. if that floats your boat)

Dissolve the sugar in the coffee while it's hot, add the milk and vanilla and then pour into a 9x13 (freezer safe) pan, preferably one with a lid.  Leave for several hours and you'll find a giant milk-ice chunk in your freezer.  Using a fork, break it up into smaller, slushier pieces.


Scoop the ice milk into a cup that's safe to use with your immersion blender (or into a regular blender).


Then, you know, blend it. 


 The final consistency is not quite the same as a slow-churned ice cream, more like a Wendy's frosty.  But I'm okay with that.


Top with whatever your little heart desires.  Whipped cream, chocolate sauce, or in my case, sliced almonds!  Mmmmm, crunchy!



No comments:

Post a Comment