Friday, June 13, 2014

One simply must have shrimp cocktail when watching the Tonys!

 
I love shrimp.  It's true.  And my very favorite way to enjoy them is prepared simply with some cocktail sauce. So in preparation for the Tony awards this past Sunday, that's exactly what I did (with a little twist, of course)!




This was my favorite part of the night. She's a national treasure, truly. And her Billie Holiday performance is spot on.

Don't buy cocktail sauce, for real.  It's SUPER easy to make.  You can add more flavors (like hot sauce or garlic) if you'd like, but this tastes very clean.

What you'll need:
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 T horseradish (or more if you like the spice)
  • 1 t Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 T lemon juice
Mix all the ingredients together in a dish and let it sit for awhile for the flavors to marry.  That's it!
On Sunday night, I actually decided to broil my shrimp in the oven, rather than boiling them.  I mostly didn't want to wash my big stock pot, so I lightly covered the (defrosted) shrimp with olive oil and a little Old Bay seasoning (obviously).  These shrimp still had their shells on, but I seasoned them up, shells and all and threw them in a preheated oven with the broiler on high. 

After about 2 minutes, I flipped the shrimp, and then about a minute or two later I took them out of the oven and put them in a bowl of ice to stop the cooking process.  It's really easy to overcook shrimp, and that's when they get rubbery and gross.


After they had cooled, I threw them in a bowl surrounding the cocktail sauce and brought an extra bowl for the shells (I used those later, so stay tuned).

I pulled out a bottle of prosecco and my fancy champagne flutes and I was ready for an awards show!

If you're feeling fancy, add about 1 oz. of Chambord to your champagne to make a beautiful (and delicious) Kir Royale.  It makes a girl feel downright glamorous!

No comments:

Post a Comment