Monday, October 20, 2014

Fried Green Tomatoes - Towanda!


Do you like Fried Green Tomatoes?  I do, both the film and the food. I stumbled upon some of the last green tomatoes of the season at the farmer's market and decided it was time to try and make my own.  Be warned, I tried to be healthy and so they aren't quite the same greasy, fried tomatoes you may be used to, but they're delicious!

What you'll need:
  • An oven pre-heated to 350
  • 3 green tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 egg and 1 cup milk whisked together (you can also use buttermilk for some tang)
  • 2 cups cornmeal seasoned with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
  • Cooking spray or an oil mister to grease the sheets and spray a fine sheen over the top

Dip the tomatoes in the egg/milk mixture and then coat in the cornmeal.  Place them on a greased cookie sheet (I ended up with 2 full sheets).  Place the tomatoes in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes and then flip them once the bottom begins to brown and bake for another 15-20 minutes.

When you're done, serve them up with the sauce of your choice, I dipped mine in some homemade marinara that was pretty great!

Enjoy and TOWANDA!

No comments:

Post a Comment