- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green chilies, diced (to taste for preferred spiciness)
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 ear of corn, kernels removed (about 1 cup)
- 1 T olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- 1 cup red split lentils (tip: they're actually orange ;-)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups water (or stock if you have some on hand)
- Avocado, cotija cheese (or feta), cilantro, sour cream, etc. for garnish
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 T chili powder (to taste and depending on how many fresh chilies you put in).
Heat your olive oil over medium-high heat, add your celery, onion and green chilies and saute until translucent.
Add your corn and lentils and saute until the lentils begin to soften (just a few minutes).
Add your tomatoes, spices and water.
Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender and the veggies are cooked through. The soup will thicken quite a bit, so feel free to add more water if you want it a little "soupier."